Bravo Serena Williams! + 10 Facts That Sum-Up This Superwoman
CONGRATULATIONS to tennis goddess Serena Williams and her partner, Alexis Ohanian, who have given birth to a baby girl in Florida!
To help celebrate, let's take a look at 10 facts that sum-up the superwoman that she is.
1. Serena is the best tennis player history. She has an 85.76 percent winning percentage, 72 tournament wins, and a record $84million in prize and endorsement earnings.
2. She won her first of 23 grand-slams in 1999 when she was just 17. Her most recent was in January of this year, aged 35.
3. When Serena first found out she was pregnant she couldn't quite believe it. She recalls thinking, "I had planned on winning Wimbledon this year."
4. She's a woman who isn't afraid of hard work to reach her dreams: "Ever since I was a little girl, my dream was to be the best tennis player in the world. Luck has nothing to do with being good at the sport. I have spent many, many hours… countless hours… on the court working for my one moment in time, not knowing when it would come but believing that it would."
5. Along with her sister, Venus, the two are unbeaten grand-slam finals champions.
6. Born in Michigan, Serena and her family moved to California when she was three, and then to Florida when she was nine. She's lived in Palm Beach, Florida ever since.
7. Serena is good friends with Beyoncé, and appeared in her Sorry music video. The director told her, "We would love for you to be in this particular song. It's about strength and it's about courage and that's what we see you as."
8. She speaks English, conversational French, plus some Spanish and Italian. When playing at the French Opens she often gives on-court interviews in French.
9. She's a great example of how it's absolutely fine - great, even - to admit that you like yourself. "I'm really exciting. I smile a lot, I win a lot, and I'm really sexy." Hear, hear!
10. Serena plans to get back to tennis January, because “I don’t think my story is over yet.”